Thoughts on products, performance, and doublethink in the magic community.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

An Observation

I noticed that a majority of my favorite magicians are seriously involved in comedy. Many of them do comedy performance or writing full-time, or did at some point in the past. They are:

David Regal, Greg Wilson, Jay Sankey, and David Acer

I guess being in comedy gives you a better understanding of how laypeople think and what they appreciate in entertainment. Pagliacci has an excellent exploration of the subject here. On a related note, thanks to Pagliacci for his advice on magic blogging and originality.

P.S.
If you know the site, please comment and post a link. Thanks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pagliacci said...

Actually, I wrote a post comparing stand-up comedy to magic: it's the second rule in the post "Two MORE Lessons in Magic You Won't Learn Anywhere Else" (http://iampagliacci.blogspot.com/2005/05/two-more-lessons-in-magic-you-wont.html).

About the advice, Nathan, it was my pleasure. I'm glad you took the constructive criticism the right way - it really is my hope that your blog will lend a new and insightful voice to the magic blogging community.

Best of luck, Comrade!

-- Pagliacci

12:44 AM

 
Blogger Pagliacci said...

Cool - thanks for the link in your update!

2:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home