Thoughts on products, performance, and doublethink in the magic community.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Goals

Here's what I'd like to accomplish in magic this summer.

  • Get a job performing magic in a restaurant.
  • Do paid shows (i.e. private parties or Bar Mitzvahs) on a semi-regular basis.
  • Come up with a fully new and original trick, practice it obsessively, and add it to my repertoire.
  • Join an I.B.M. or S.A.M. Ring.
  • Attend one magic convention.
  • Reduce the number of tricks I perform, while simultaneously making the ones I keep more entertaining.
  • Build a workable model of Paul Harris' "House Guest," Art of Astonishment Vol. 1., Pg. 305. The basic effect is that sounds of glasses clinking, music, laughter. etc. start to come from a card box. You remove the deck, and inside the deck is an insanely detailed 3-d mini diorama of a party. We're talking people, furniture, carpet, chandeliers, etc. This is after a full routine with the deck. I have no clue how I'm gonna make it work, but I'm gonna try.

It's an ambitious set of goals, but If I accomplish even 2 or 3, I'll be happy. After all, as someone once said, "Nothing great was ever accomplished without enthusiasm."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home