Thoughts on products, performance, and doublethink in the magic community.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Penguicide

I am sick of Penguin Magic in so many ways. I am sick of the idiotic twelve year olds who make unintelligible posts on the forums about how "toTAly xtreme" they are. I am sick of the slashed prices that put real, knowledgeable magic stores out of business. I am sick of the overpriced Magic Makers knock-off crap that discourages innovation and takes money out of creators' pockets.

But I am most sick of the overly slick, disingenuous promotions from the home of idiot magic and idiot magicians. Case in point: the new "SPUN Starring Morgan Strebler" video. Allow me to voice my objections. And they are bountiful.

"Starring Morgan Strebler"?! I'm glad they make it clear who's in charge on the DVD. On all my other magic videos, its impossible to distinguish the 'star magician,' the supporting female lead, the stunt-man, and the extras.

Seriously. what the hell?! "Starring" is an adjective you apply to actors in professional public performances. Not some obscure DVD that a bunch of pre-pubescent 12 year olds will drool over in their bedrooms.

I'm also sick of the hyped up B.S. that Penguin is trying to manufacture. SPUN "is as precise and breathtaking as an olympic figure skating routine... [and as] as earth-shattering as an Indy car crashing into the wall at 220 miles per hour."

Precise? Breath-taking? Earth-shattering? B.S. It's a bunch of thread and good acting. Not something out of Mission Impossible.

I'm sick of the people in the demo videos, half of whom are drunk off their asses. I could take the sponge-bunnies to Vegas and get the same 'precise, breath-taking' reactions. Does no one realize that the morons sought out by the film crew are too liquored up to react any differently?

I'm sick of the dishonest editing that prevents you from seeing how the trick is really performed. I'm not talking about wanting to discover secrets, but simply purging the ''ugly' parts of reality that detract from Penguin's bottom line.

Nothing on Penguin is new or cutting edge. The company dresses up old secrets in new clothes, adds a slick marketing effort, and sells the product to gullible idiots who don't know any better. Most of their customers don't even realize that what they're buying existed before they were even born.

I am sick of Penguin Magic. And I hope you are too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pagliacci said...

You hit the nail right on the head, Nate. I exposed similar bullshit in this post. Penguin Magic is really starting to get out of control.

-- P.

11:52 PM

 
Blogger David said...

The biggest problem with the big P's forums is that there is no or very little education going on. There's very little substance to their forums or their site.

It explains why there are people there who refuse to change their mind about something, even when presented with facts to back up the truth. The blinders that Penguin has placed on their 'customers' is an incredible hindrance to the proper growth of anyone interested in magic.

David.

10:50 PM

 
Blogger Nate said...

A very good point David. Denny, of the magic shop that I constantly mention, told me that he meets many such people. He says they blunder down the wrong road for years before they realize they've learned absolutely nothing about magic.

12:37 AM

 
Blogger MagiFeller said...

Have you completely ignored the added value of the 'Special follow-along practice session with Noblezada'?

Everyone knows that Mr. Noblezada is as Xtreme and magicool as an Olympic curling team.

11:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home